Saturday, May 24, 2014

Hanbok photo study

Shapes
Blocking in
Developing the forms

Left: photo;   Center:2nd attempt;   Right:first attempt.
I had to go back and paint it again from scratch. It just wasn't working out.
The model is still much much nicer than my painting.
This exercise's purpose was not 100% accuracy, instead it was an attempt to interpret reference. I fell back on trying to get more accurate in the face-- I'm not totally satisfied with my results. Very good practice nonetheless.

Also, I think it's important to be completely transparent with your reference. Too many times I see pictures that are obviously referenced and in showing the making of those pieces, there is never the reference shown. I am uncomfortable showing the reference photo here (as it is still a lot better than my painting), but for the sake of learning, it's important to see what the artist is working with and how they interpreted it.

Final study

Source photo: Andrea Scheidler



No comments:

Post a Comment